So you want to start a youth worship band?
Starting a worship band can be tough so you have to make sure you really want to move forward with it. If you think you want to start one, I’d start with going through these three simple points.
1. Ask Why?
- Ask yourself why you want to start a worship band. Is it because you love music? Is it because you like to sing? Or is it because God has placed it on your heart. Do you feel called to start a worship band? Because starting a worship band for the wronng reasons will most likely just end in an enormous mess.
- Ask God if this is what He really wants you to do. Spend a few minutes meditating on it. Ask him to open the doors that are needed in order to successfully do this.
- To have a worship band, you need more than just you; unless you want to be a one man band. Of course, if you want to start before having any other members, do it. You need to talk it through with your youth pastor first. After learning a few songs, play on a wednesday night before the sermon. Before they leave, have your youth pastor make an announcement about joining the worship band and to come see you after service.
- If people come to talk to you, just set up a time to have your first practice.
- Now it is very possible that no one comes up to you. Just keep playing on wednesday nights. Eventaully, someone is going to get the courage to talk to you about joining. And if they don’t, and you know people with musical talents, go to them and ask about it. But do not force them; just run it across them quick. You don’t want anyone to join because they feel forced. Maybe have them pray about it or pray with them about it.
Those are the first few steps to starting a worship band. Don’t worry, I made a post on what to do at your first practice.